Pay stubs are not only required to be given to employees but must also contain certain information. If the information is not present, you could be subject to penalties up to $4,000 per employee:
1) Gross wages earned;
2) Total hours worked;
3) Piece-rate units if applicable;
4) All deductions (with a limited exception);
5) Net wages earned;
6) The inclusive dates of the pay period;
7) The name of the employee and the last four digits of a social security number or an employee identification number;
8) The name and address of the entity that is the employer (other requirements for farm workers); and
9) All applicable hourly rates.
Do not get caught in this easy trap! Call your payroll provider or confirm you are in compliance. Additional requirements exist for temporary workers.