Personalized Estate Planning And Probate Counsel: Now Is A Good Time
Estate planning attorneys at our firm provide customized counsel to families and individuals who are seeking guidance with myriad estate-related issues, including standard tools that nearly everyone should have, such as:
- Powers of attorney
- Living wills
- Health care directives (also called advance directives)
Why Everyone Needs To Plan Ahead
Putting your wishes in writing ahead of time offers peace of mind during your lifetime and enables your loved ones to settle your estate with the least amount of difficulty and expense. Without a will or trust(s), state laws will determine how your assets are distributed after death. Loved ones or whoever takes responsibility for your estate will require additional time and effort to wrap up your affairs.
A health care directive can also make a great difference during your lifetime. With this legal document, you can give someone of your choosing the ability to make health care decisions for you at a time when you cannot speak for yourself, if this ever happens to you. Your loved one or another chosen agent can give authoritative direction to doctors during a health crisis. A one-page health care directive can empower this person to watch out for your medical care if you are incapacitated.
Unique Estate Issues For Farmers And Others
Depending on individual circumstances and concerns, we also advise on special issues such as:
- Farm succession planning and other unique estate planning needs of farmers and farming families
- Business succession planning
- Elder law
- Long-term care planning, insurance and management
- Elder abuse and exploitation
- Guardianship and conservatorship
- Medi-Cal, Medicaid and/or Medicare matters
- Life insurance and similar resources that are not administered through a will or trust
- Real estate matters associated with an estate
Our attorneys also act as advisers to individuals, farmers, families and charitable organizations that need help settling estates through probate and trust administration
Update Your Estate Plan
Putting an estate plan in place is not a one-time event for people who are thoughtful about their financial affairs over a lifetime. Experts recommend reviewing an estate plan every three to five years or anytime there have been significant life changes, such as:
- A move from one state to another
- Death of a spouse and/or children
- Divorce of intended beneficiaries
- First-time parenthood
- First-time business ownership
- Any major change in health, family makeup or fortune
Griswold LaSalle Cobb Dowd & Gin LLP in Hanford, California, serves clients from all types of backgrounds seeking estate planning and other estate-related services. We are committed to helping all our clients mitigate taxes and other estate-related expenses regardless of the sizes of their asset portfolios.
Let Us Hear From You
Do not be intimidated by the concept of estate planning. It is a responsible way to respect whoever may take care of you and your assets someday. It is not only for the rich. You can start simple and build from initial basic documents later. If you need sophisticated trusts, we are prepared to guide you through the process.